Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lizard last night, Flower today

I have a ceramic lizard that hangs on a photo frame.
I think he's cute, so I drew him.
My husband picked a wild flower for me from our garden.

Last night I wasn't feeling great, but I hadn't done anything very creative all day, so I sketched the little lizard above.  It made me feel so good that I accomplished this little drawing.  I got absorbed in the the shapes, and the colors.  It made me happy.

This morning, I had a migraine, not a happy morning.  I got up and saw the beautiful flowers sitting on my table. I grabbed my drawing gear and sat down to immortalize one of them on paper.  They are so cheerful.

I'm remembering a lot about how to draw lately.
Your brain sees things a certain way normally, it simply doesn't take in all the details.  When you draw, you need to really look at the subject.  Draw what you see, not what you think is there.

Look at the shapes the object makes.  Pay attention to the negative space.

I'm thoroughly enjoying doing this project.  Even though I've been having a hard time lately with my health, this has been a bright part of each day.  Not just the art, but the fact that I'm completing a goal each day!    


2 comments:

  1. I love what you are doing. I remember my first drawing class. I had never done any and everyone in the class were art majors. The prof made me draw one thing every day for 50 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judith, did you learn anything, or did it make you hate that prof?
    I'm glad you are enjoying what I'm trying to do.
    wendy

    ReplyDelete

OH, how exciting! You're leaving a comment!
I love comments, it's like that special little card you get in the mail you didn't expect!
Thank you!!!