Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Translating my Headaches into Images

My husband, and doctors often ask me about my headaches.  How bad is it?  I hate the statement..."on a scale of 0 - 10 with 0 being no headache at all and 10 is going to the ER...how bad is your headache?"


That is such a broad statement.  Doesn't that depend on the person?  Normally, I have a headache.  It's always there, I simply push it to the back so I don't notice it so much.  If someone asked me if I had a headache, I'd probably say "no", but if I thought about it...I really do have a headache...it's there, I just refuse to acknowledge it.  So is that a 2 or perhaps a 3 for me?


Then I will have the nagging headache...the one that just sits there, and makes it's self known, but I can still function...some what.  Is that a 5 or a 6?  maybe?


Then there are the OMG my whole body hurts, I can't stand the light, I'm screaming, and starting to throw up...so is that a 9?  I'm sure for some my 7 or 8 would be a 10.  But I would probably have to pass out from the pain before I would go to the ER for a headache.  I keep thinking...I'll just take this (what ever med I'm on at the time) and it will be better soon.  Or I will take enough to knock me out...yeah...that will work.


Today I decided to play with a photo I took of myself when I was in a very interesting mood.


This is the progression of my headaches:
A bit more than the usual every day headache, but it's there a lot of the time.

Getting Worse....

Now the blinding shearing pain!  

A migraine and a Meniere's attack at the same time.  
One is bad enough by it's self, but having a horrible headache, while having vertigo....
a little slice of my personal hell.

Perhaps I should take these photos to my next doctor's appointment, and say...."My headache today looks like this!" and hold up the appropriate picture.

5 comments:

  1. I think taking the photos with you would be a great idea! That will certainly help explain the level of pain. As someone who almost always has a headache, I understand the dilemma of trying to convey the severity of it. I usually try to ignore it until it gets to crainium crushing stage; sometimes, though, if I need to use the computer, even a small headache will make reading/using the computer difficult.
    On a whole different topic: finally got my crayons! On sale, 6 thick crayons with two heads so each has two colo(u)rs. Not the 64 pack you suggested, but a start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Crayons! Aren't they fun? Doesn't the smell just take you back?
    Don't be timid! Be brave, be bold...colorize! hehehe...that just sounded cool didn't it?

    I'm glad you like my headache scale. I see you understand...I have a headache all the time...I usually don't pay attention to it until it's so bad my eyes won't open all the way...then it's..oh, man, I should have taken my meds by now.

    I will let you know how the doc likes the show and tell. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic expresssions. I do think taking them to the doctor is a good idea.
    Now, you might do the same with feeling better and better and use that series as a visualization.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judith!
    What a wonderful suggestion!
    thank you!!
    w

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a retired nurse, and I always thought the pain rating question was sort of dumb for all the reasons you suggest. Your art, on the other hand, tells it all, and I think you should definitely show the doctor! These say it all. nancy

    ReplyDelete

OH, how exciting! You're leaving a comment!
I love comments, it's like that special little card you get in the mail you didn't expect!
Thank you!!!